Bishop’s Stortford is a market town and has a chartered market. Market days are Thursdays and Saturdays and there are pitches available on both days. The market is located throughout the town centre - South Street, Potter Street, Market Square and North Street. Trading hours are Thursday and Saturday 8.00am to 4.30pm. A regular Farmers and Crafts Market is held on the first Saturday of each month from 9.30 to 1.30pm.
BISHOP’S STORTFORD MARKET SHOPPING CHARTER
The Town Council and the market traders are committed to providing a quality market service so that you, the customer, will enjoy the experience of market shopping in our town. It is our hope that you will find all market personnel courteous and helpful and find a wide variety of goods and services on offer.
A copy of the shopping charter can be found below.
Bishop's Stortford Town Council is always looking for new traders to attend the market. If you are thinking of starting a new business, or want to extend your existing venture in a new area, then a market stall is perfect for you.
WHY BECOME A MARKET TRADER?
- Start Small and Grow - Being a trader is an ideal way into retail for any budding entrepreneur
- Flexibility - Market trading allows you to be flexible and take your trade to your customers, without paying expensive long-term property leases, business rates and possibly service charges. You can also choose which days you would like to work
- Develop Your Skills - Trading allows you to be your own boss and develop self-discipline. It’s also a great way to build many other skills essential for business, such as sales and negotiation
- Connections - Market trading offers a great way of life in many aspects. You will have the opportunity to interact with the public, as well as fellow traders, building a great network of customers, colleagues and will play an integral part in helping to regenerate a local town
WHY BISHOP'S STORTFORD MARKET?
- Low Cost - The special New Trader rate allows you to build up your business and try trading at markets at a reduced cost
- Regular event days and special events
- Planned improvements - A number of initiatives have been created to improve the market for traders and shoppers
- Trader Communication - Bishop’s Stortford Town Council work closely with traders
Below is a New Trader Pack which will provide you with information on how to become a Market Trader as well as a document detailing our payment tariffs and an application form.
Please contact the Market Manager if you have any further questions-
Bishop's Stortford Town Council
The Old Monastery
Tel: 01279 712143 (Direct)
Tel: 01279 715000