Neighbourhood Planning is the way for the local community to have a direct say in development. Two Neighbourhood Plans cover Bishop’s Stortford (and a part of Thorley Parish). These were completed in 2015 and 2017 and adopted following extensive public consultation and a referendum on each plan. These, together with the District Plan, contain the policies against which all planning applications are assessed.
Bishop’s Stortford Town Council is now undertaking a limited revision of the two Neighbourhood Plans to bring them up to date. This revision, like the original plan, is being created by a team of dedicated volunteers representing all sections of the Community and overseen by the Town Council. The principal changes that we are proposing comprise:
- New sections on Climate Change and the Town Centre
- Extensive revisions to the sections on Green Infrastructure and Transport
- Lesser revisions to other sections of the plan including changes so that policies (except site-specific policies) are the same for the whole town
To find out more you can:
- Watch this introductory video (about 10 minutes) which explains the plan and the major changes
- Read this short document (which was also distributed to the houses in the Neighbourhood Area). You can also view an extended version with more detail.
- Read the documents which make up the draft plan:
- Neighbourhood Plan for Silverleys and Meads Wards 1st Revision
- Neighbourhood Plan for All Saints, Central, South and part of Thorley 1st Revision
- Neighbourhood Plan for Bishop's Stortford and Part of Thorley Parish Shared Policies 1st Revision (this is the most important document, so if you read one only, read this one)
- Neighbourhood Plan for Bishop's Stortford and Part of Thorley Parish Policy Maps 1st Revision
- Neighbourhood Plan for Bishop's Stortford and Part of Thorley Parish Appendices 1st Revision
Consultation under Regulation 14 of the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012 commenced on 8th February 2021 and concluded on 20th April 2021. Bishop’s Stortford Town Council thanks all those who have reviewed and/or made comments on the proposed revisions to the plans. The comments raised by consultees are being duly considered and amendments to the draft plans made in response. A record of all comments received and the action taken will be published shortly, when the plan is formally submitted to East Herts District Council. It is expected that East Herts District Council will, in due course, advertise the plan, as submitted, in accordance with Regulation 15 of the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012 and invite representations.
In accordance with Regulation 14(a)(v) of the Neighbourhood Planning Regulations 2012 the Council has considered whether the modifications contained in the modification proposals are so significant or substantial as to change the nature of the neighbourhood development plans and Statements of Significance of Changes for both Neighbourhood Plans can be found below. If you wish to comment on either statement you may do so either before 13th May 2021 to the Town Council (firstname.lastname@example.org) or when the District Council invites representations in accordance with Regulation 15 referred to above. Any comments received will be forwarded to the Independent Examiner who is ultimately responsible for determining how the revisions should be categorized.
Stay informed on our latest news by subscribing to our newsletter!