Notice of Consultation
The Town Council has completed its work on the revisions to the two neighbourhood plans which cover the Town and Parts of Thorley Parish. The revised plans have been passed to East Herts District Council which is now consulting under regulation 16 of the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012.
Representations received under Regulation 16 regarding the plan proposal will be forwarded to an appointed examiner, who will decide if the proposed modifications change the nature of the plans and assess the plan proposals and supporting documents against the basic conditions. These basic conditions are:
- having regard to national policies and advice contained in guidance issued by the Secretary of State, it is appropriate to make the neighbourhood development plan;
- the making of the neighbourhood development plan contributes to the achievement of sustainable development;
- the making of the neighbourhood development plan is in general conformity with the strategic policies contained in the development plan for the area of the authority (or any part of that area);
- the making of the neighbourhood development plan does not breach, and is otherwise compatible with, EU obligations, and
- prescribed conditions are met in relation to the neighbourhood development plan and prescribed matters have been complied with in connection with the proposal for the neighbourhood development plan.
The examiner may make recommendations for changes if he/she considers that they are necessary to meet the basic conditions. The examiner will also consider, for each plan, whether the revisions are sufficiently significant that a referendum should be held and, if so, whether the referendum area should extemd beyond the Neighbourhood Area. Full details of the consultation can be found here
Neighbourhood Planning is the way for the local community to have a direct say in development. Two Neighbourhood Plans cover Bishop’s Stortford (and a part of Thorley Parish). These were completed in 2015 and 2017 and adopted following extensive public consultation and a referendum on each plan. These, together with the District Plan, contain the policies against which all planning applications are assessed.
The following information and documentation refers principally to earlier stages of the plan process. For the latest information and documentationvisit the consultation page here
Bishop’s Stortford Town Council is now undertaking a limited revision of the two Neighbourhood Plans to bring them up to date. This revision, like the original plan, is being created by a team of dedicated volunteers representing all sections of the Community and overseen by the Town Council. The principal changes that we are proposing comprise:
- New sections on Climate Change and the Town Centre
- Extensive revisions to the sections on Green Infrastructure and Transport
- Lesser revisions to other sections of the plan including changes so that policies (except site-specific policies) are the same for the whole town
To find out more you can:
- Watch this introductory video (about 10 minutes) which explains the plan and the major changes
- Read this short document (which was also distributed to the houses in the Neighbourhood Area). You can also view an extended version with more detail.
- Read the documents which make up the draft plan:
- Neighbourhood Plan for Silverleys and Meads Wards 1st Revision
- Neighbourhood Plan for All Saints, Central, South and part of Thorley 1st Revision
- Neighbourhood Plan for Bishop's Stortford and Part of Thorley Parish Shared Policies 1st Revision (this is the most important document, so if you read one only, read this one)
- Neighbourhood Plan for Bishop's Stortford and Part of Thorley Parish Policy Maps 1st Revision
- Neighbourhood Plan for Bishop's Stortford and Part of Thorley Parish Appendices 1st Revision
Consultation under Regulation 14 of the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012 commenced on 8th February 2021 and concluded on 20th April 2021. Bishop’s Stortford Town Council thanks all those who have reviewed and/or made comments on the proposed revisions to the plans. The comments raised by consultees are being duly considered and amendments to the draft plans made in response. A record of all comments received and the action taken will be published shortly, when the plan is formally submitted to East Herts District Council. It is expected that East Herts District Council will, in due course, advertise the plan, as submitted, in accordance with Regulation 15 of the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012 and invite representations.
In accordance with Regulation 14(a)(v) of the Neighbourhood Planning Regulations 2012 the Council has considered whether the modifications contained in the modification proposals are so significant or substantial as to change the nature of the neighbourhood development plans and Statements of Significance of Changes for both Neighbourhood Plans can be found below. If you wish to comment on either statement you may do so either before 13th May 2021 to the Town Council (firstname.lastname@example.org) or when the District Council invites representations in accordance with Regulation 15 referred to above. Any comments received will be forwarded to the Independent Examiner who is ultimately responsible for determining how the revisions should be categorized.
Stay informed on our latest news by subscribing to our newsletter!